Sunday, August 14, 2011

official statement of Mayor Melecio J. Yap, Jr.

Full text of the official statement issued by Mayor Melecio J. Yap, Jr. during his press conference at Kuppa Cafe, Bacolod City on August 13, 2011 at 2:00pm.

Press Conference at Kuppa Café
of MAYOR MELECIO J. YAP, JR.
August 13, 2011
2:00 pm

STATEMENT

Last Monday, August 8, 2011, I was taken aback when I received the Resolution to suspend and withdraw my deputation or my administrative control and operational supervision over the Escalante Police Station issued by the National Police Commission on July 15, 2011.
This came in during the time when I was anticipating for the supposed investigation to roll over so I’d be given the venue to explain my side and controvert the allegations that were raised against me.
I personally regarded this move as beneficial on my part since it is through this forum that I shall be given the opportunity to confront squarely and fairly all the charges and accusations which my political opponents have proliferated way back and even beyond election period.
Unfortunately, I have never been invited nor anybody from the investigating team has visited my office to give me such opportune time to defend myself and address these issues once and for all. I was not even FORMALLY informed of the existence of these complaints. It is when the series of events implicating people who are close to me began to surface when I have felt the pressure and eventually learned of these supposed investigation.
As we take a closer look on the premises considered in the Resolution, it appears that the investigation has not maximized nor explored all possible means to come up with a fair resolution, not even an impartial investigation. The “confidential report” of PRO 6 Regional Director PCSUPT CIPRIANO E. QUEROL, JR., AL HAJ formed an integral part of the resolution.

On my alleged close association and tactical alliance with Northern Negros Alliance of Human Rights Advocates (NNAHRA) and Mr. Bernardino “Toto” Patigas, a known Human Rights supporter, I personally don’t see any reason why should I limit myself from extending the services of the government to our constituents who promote social reforms and authentic justice. We have to understand that the organizations where they belong are legitimate cause-oriented groups and should not be unfairly tagged as communist groups.

I vehemently and firmly DENY the report regarding the giving of caliber pistol and weapons to the NPA hit squad to eliminate Carapali Lualhati of the RPA/ABB. As a matter of fact, there is no problem whatsoever between me and Carapali Lualhati.

On the report that NPA hitmen “sought refuge at the fishpond owned by Mayor Yap”, this is indeed a very loaded accusation. I just doubt if they have the evidence to substantiate this claim. May I ask, which fishpond are they referring to?

It was mentioned in the report that Regional Director Honey Paredes verified the reports of Extra-judicial killings in Escalante City as enumerated in the confidential report of P/CSupt. Querol. It may then be appropriate to inquire if there are truths to these allegations, then why is there no case, criminal or administrative, filed against me? These claims should have been supported with authentic evidences and should have been disclosed in the Resolution.

As to date, I have not been charged criminally or administratively in any forum regarding “illegal activities” other than this particular incident.

May I also inquire how NAPOLCOM Regional Director Paredes did verify the veracity of the report when I have not known any investigation that took place within the territorial jurisdiction of Escalante City?

There is no truth to the report that there was no comment from Congressman Julio A. Ledesma, III of the 1st District of Negros Occidental because he even personally objected to the proposed suspension of deputation.

As the resolution invoked provisions in the PNP Reform and Reorganization Act of 1998, and DILG Act of 1990, may I inquire if they have substantial evidence and proof that will support their claim that I have indeed violated some of its provisions?

If there are, then I challenge you to take the necessary and the most appropriate action so I may have the chance to defend myself in the proper court.

Needless to say, the inquiry was conducted unilaterally, without giving me a chance to present my side and without even informing me of the complaint against my person, thus, violating my fundamental right as a human and dignity as a person. Apparently, I became a victim of human rights violation which we suppose, an act that the present administration, grossly abhor and owe to protect.

I may have been silent in the past because I believe that no amount of political intimidation shall hinder me in as I serve my fellow Escalantehanon. However, I believe that this is the right time to set all records straight. I don’t want to dignify the harassment that I am experiencing right now by not allowing the truth to come out.

Thank you.




No comments:

Post a Comment